Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my mom's recipe. It's a great dessert on a cold evening.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1⁄3 cups hot water
- whipped topping (optional)
- ice cream (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine 3/4 cup sugar, flour, 3 Tbls cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Blend in milk, butter and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Pour into an 8 inch square pan.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 c sugar, brown sugar and 4 Tbls cocoa.
- Sprinkle over top of cake.
- DO NOT STIR.
- Pour hot water over cake.
- DO NOT STIR.
- Bake at 350F 35-40 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with whipped topping or icecream.
Very nice and rich...it surprised me how all the ingredients came together. I didn't think this was going to work but it did. Thanks!!!
Wonderful! I made this in a 9" round casserole type dish because I couldn't find a square pan. It took quite a bit longer to cook, but tastes absolutely wonderful, very rich!
This was very good! Rich and chocolately and easy to prepare. This is one of those "magic" or "impossible" cake recipes - where you start with the batter on the bottom and the liquid on top, then when it bakes, the crust has formed on top, and the liquid has turned into a rich, gooey dark chocolate pudding sauce underneath. This was enjoyed by all, especially my husband. I found it delicious, but very,very sweet - next time I may reduce the sugar a bit.