Recipe by Caryn
A luscious chocolate dessert, a chocolate lovers delight!
Top Review by Heather in Barrie
Great recipe. Easy, speedy and very tasty. It uses just a few basic ingredients that I always have on hand so it is a wonderful emergency dessert when unexpected guests call on their way to visit. As we are retired. and spend 3 months in Florida during the winter it is my "go to" dessert whenever we have dinner guests. Very decadent served warm with ice cream. I have made this many, many times since I first found the recipe a few years ago. Thank you for posting.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 9-inch round or 5 1/2 cup oval baking pan.
- Combine flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium-sized bowl.
- Stir in milk, melted butter, and vanilla to form a thick batter.
- Spread in prepared pan in an even layer.
- Sprinkle with remaining granulated sugar, cocoa powder, and brown sugar evenly over batter.
- Pour boiling water over top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until set around sides and top is loose and slightly bubbly.
- Cool in pan on rack at least 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream.