Recipe by Scrivener1
I found this in my Pillsbury cookbook which is falling apart. The recipe calls for 1/2 c. sugar, but I think it is good with 1/3 c. sugar. Also see the vanilla variation that I posted.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk, whole
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Add chocolate.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
- Boil one minute.
- In small bowl, blend about 1/3 of hot mixture into egg yolks.
- Return yolk mixture to hot mixture; blend well.
- Cook until mixture bubbles, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; add vanilla.
- Beat with a rotary beater until smooth.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- Store in refrigerator.