Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great for late nights, warm. Also great served over cinnamon french toast.
- 2 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1⁄4 cups skim milk, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg whites and set aside. In a large bowl, combine 2/3 cup of cocoa and cornstarch. Whisk 3/4 cup of milk into cocoa mixture until completely smooth.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine remaining milk, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, whisking constantly. Remove pan from heat.
- Whisk cocoa mixture into hot milk mixture. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; boil for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove pan from heat.
- Gradually whisk 1 cup of hot cocoa mixture into the egg whites. Pour mixture back into pan. Cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Do not boil. Remove pan from heat.
- Add vanilla; blend well. Pour pudding into serving dishes. Cool to room temperature. Cover and chill for 1 hour.