Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
From a Passover recipe website submitted by Marilyn Lipken of Philadelphia, PA. The recipe was posted there without an oven temperature so I added it at 350 but check the oven when you make it just in case since I haven't made it. Can be made 2 days ahead of serving.
- Line the bottom of a greased 10" springform pan with wax paper.
- Grease the paper and sprinkle the pan with cake meal, shaking out the excess.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat the whites with a pinch of salt until they hold soft peaks.
- Add the sugar, a little at a time, beating until the whites hold stiff glossy peaks.
- Fold in the walnuts and prunes.
- Add the chocolate, folding it into the mixture gently but thoroughly.
- Turn the mixture into the pan, smoothing the top evenly, and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Let the torte cool in the pan on a rack.
- Run a thin knife around the edge of the pan and remove the side.
- Invert the torte onto a cake plate, discarding the wax paper.
- Chill the torte, covered, for 1 hour.
- The torte may be made 2 days in advance and kept covered and chilled.