Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A cookie that is more like real food! That was my goal when I created this cookie for my extremely picky son. Stevia brings the sugar way down; flax seed and whole grains brings nutrition up, chocolate makes it yummy!
Combine in a medium bowl with wire whisk
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- 3 scoops vanilla protein powder (I use whey based)
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Combine in a large bowl
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce (or unsweetened apple butter)
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons stevia plus (or 3/4 cup sugar equivalent of your brand)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional, I like a lot of vanilla)
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl using a wire whisk. Whisk together rest of ingredients, except chocolate chips, in a large bowl using a whisk. Whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add dry to wet in thirds combining with a sturdy mixing spoon after each addition. Mix in chocolate chips. Will be very stiff!
- Lightly spray a cooking sheet with non-stick spray. Drop balls the size of a large walnut spacing 1-2 inches apart. Flatten slightly as the cookies will not spread much. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove to cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Note: My protein powder is sweetened with sucralose. I don't know how much sweetness it contributes or if you will need to adjust the recipe for unsweetened protein powder.