1 hr 8 mins
Chocolate, coffee, and cinnamon flavors these pretzels. This recipe comes from "The Joy of Cookies" by Sharon Tyler Herbst. These sound quite tasty and don't require yeast. Prep time and cook time are guesses since I haven't made this yet. 1 hour of refrigeration time is not included in the times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter, softened plus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons water, for glaze
- 1/4 cup coarse decorator sugar
- 1In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In a small mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and coffee powder together until light and fluffy. Blend in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, blending well after each addition. Form dough into a log 11 inches long and 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in waxed paper; refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit. Grease 3 large baking sheets.
- 3On a lightly floured surface, cut chilled dough into 3/8-inch-thick slices. Refrigerate half the slices. Using your palms, roll each slice back and forth on work surface into a rope about 14" long and 1/4" in diameter. Shape each rope into a pretzel. Using a metal spatula, transfer pretzels to a cutting board or other work surface(really, no kidding. transfer, transfer, transfer! otherwise your pretzels will stick to the baking sheet). Brush pretzels with egg glaze; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- 4Bake 8 to 11 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Cool on racks. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or freeze for longer storage.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Pretzels (Schokoladebrezeln)
Serving Size: 1 (27 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 112.5
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 21.2 mg
- Sodium 81.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 1.3 g