Little Suzy Homemaker's Note:
This recipe is from Bon Appetit RSVP section...they are the chocolate pretzel cookies served at Busch Stadium. There is a lot of cooling and chilling time not accounted for in the prep time because so much can be done days ahead of when you need to serve them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 12 ounces high-quality white chocolate, chopped
- 1Whisk flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until fluffy.
- 2Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Stir in dry ingredients.
- 3Gather dough into a ball; wrap in plastic and chill at least 4 hours. (Can be made a day ahead. Keep refrigerated.).
- 4Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray. Divide dough into 8 equal portions; roll into balls.
- 5Roll 1 ball between work surface and palms into a 16 inch long rope. To form pretzel shape, lift 1 end of rope and press about 1 1/2 inches past center of rope, crossing over first loop. Transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 6Lightly beat egg white in small bowl to loosen. Brush pretzels with egg white. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake until firm, about 15 minutes. Cool on racks. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.).
- 7Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Melt bittersweet chocolate and white chocolate separately in double boilers set over simmering water, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Dip 4 pretzels halfway into melted bittersweet chocolate; tranfer to 1 prepared baking sheet. Dip remaining 4 pretzels into white chocolate; transfer to 2nd baking sheet. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes to allow chocolate to begin to set.
- 8Dip for into melted bittersweet chocolate. Sweep for back and forth a few inches above white chocolate dipped pretzels, creating thin stripes, dipping fork in bittersweet chocolate as needed.
- 9Dip another fork into melted white chocolate. Sweep for back and forth a few inches above bittersweet chocolate dipped pretzels, creating thin stripes, dipping fork in white chocolate as needed.
- 10Let stand at room temperature until chocolate is set, about 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Pretzel Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 728.4
- Calories from Fat 351
- Total Fat 39.0 g
- Saturated Fat 23.7 g
- Cholesterol 119.8 mg
- Sodium 358.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 56.6 g
- Protein 9.8 g