Recipe by Little Suzy Homemaker
This recipe is from Bon Appetit RSVP section...they are the chocolate pretzel cookies served at Busch Stadium. There is a lot of cooling and chilling time not accounted for in the prep time because so much can be done days ahead of when you need to serve them.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄4 cup raw sugar
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 12 ounces high-quality white chocolate, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Stir in dry ingredients.
- Gather dough into a ball; wrap in plastic and chill at least 4 hours. (Can be made a day ahead. Keep refrigerated.).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray. Divide dough into 8 equal portions; roll into balls.
- Roll 1 ball between work surface and palms into a 16 inch long rope. To form pretzel shape, lift 1 end of rope and press about 1 1/2 inches past center of rope, crossing over first loop. Transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Lightly beat egg white in small bowl to loosen. Brush pretzels with egg white. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake until firm, about 15 minutes. Cool on racks. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.).
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Melt bittersweet chocolate and white chocolate separately in double boilers set over simmering water, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Dip 4 pretzels halfway into melted bittersweet chocolate; tranfer to 1 prepared baking sheet. Dip remaining 4 pretzels into white chocolate; transfer to 2nd baking sheet. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes to allow chocolate to begin to set.
- Dip for into melted bittersweet chocolate. Sweep for back and forth a few inches above white chocolate dipped pretzels, creating thin stripes, dipping fork in bittersweet chocolate as needed.
- Dip another fork into melted white chocolate. Sweep for back and forth a few inches above bittersweet chocolate dipped pretzels, creating thin stripes, dipping fork in white chocolate as needed.
- Let stand at room temperature until chocolate is set, about 1 hour.