Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Chocolate layer cake
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup Parkay margarine
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 package Pillsbury Plus Devils Food cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- chocolate curls, if desired
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- In small saucepan, combine butter, 1/4 cup whipping cream and brown sugar.
- Cook over low heat just until butter is melted.
- Pour into two 9 or 8 inch round cake pans, sprinkle chopped pecans evenly over mixture.
- Combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs and mix until moistened, then beat on high for two minutes.
- Spoon over pecan mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes or until cakes tests done.
- Cool 5 minutes in pans, remove from pans and cool completely.
- Beat 1 3/4 cups whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold in powdered sugar and vanilla, beat until stiff peaks form.
- To asemble cake, place 1 layer on serving plate with praline side up and spread with 1/2 of the whipped cream mixture.
- Top with second layer, praline side up and spread with remaining whipped cream mixture.
- Garnish with chocolate curls if desired.
- Store in refrigerator.