Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a wonderful cake we often have at special occasions. It is a Pillsbury bake off winner from many years ago.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup coarsley chopped pecans
- 1 (18 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- pecan halves, if desired
- chocolate curls, if desired
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, 1/4 cup whipping cream and brown sugar.
- Cook over low heat just until butter is melted, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into two 9-inch round cake pans; sprinkle evenly with chopped pecans.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining cake ingredients at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at high speed.
- Carefully spoon batter over pecan mixture around edges of pan; spoon remaining batter in center of pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes, or until done.
- Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat 1 1/4 cup whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Blend in powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer on serving plate, praline side up.
- Spread with half of whipped cream.
- Top with second layer, praline side up; spread top with remaining whipped cream.
- Garnish with pecan halves and chocolate curls if desired.
- Store in refrigerator.
Got rave reviews @ a luncheon at work. Not a crumb left to bring home.
I love the shortcut of using a cake mix and having it turn out delicious as well. I, too, would give this recipe 10 stars. I didn't have enough whipping cream for entire cake so used Cool Whip on the top. I will probably use Cool Whip the next time, too. There will be many "next times" with this recipe. Thanks Michelle!
Let's just say that this recipe should be a double 5 star. No one would have guessed that it was a cake mix, if I hadn't told them. It not only makes a beautiful presentation, it taste just as good as it looks. People were asking me for the recipe before they even tasted it. That is how pretty this cake looks.