Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is originally from the " Brennan's of Houston in Your Kitchen" cookbook.I made it over the weekend for a dinner with friends and it was WONDERFUL! Very dense and chocolately with a gooey caramel and toasted pecan layer- yum!It can be made a day ahead of time and prep time does not include chilling time.
- 1 cup chocolate wafer crumbs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 40 individually wrapped caramels (I used Kraft)
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup toasted pecan pieces
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted
- sweetened whipped cream, for garnish
- strawberry, for garnish
- Mix chocolate wafer crumbs and melted butter and pat onto the bottom of a 10 inch springform pan; set aside.
- Place unwrapped caramels and evaporated milk in a small microwaveable bowl and microwave at 50 percent power until melted or melt over simmering water on the stovetop.
- Periodically stir until the caramels melt and blend with the milk.
- When mixture begins to look like thick caramel and the milk is incorporated into the melted caramel, remove from heat.
- Pour caramel on top of the reserved crust and immediately sprinkle with the toasted pecan pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl after each addition.
- Add chocolate to mixture; blend until incorporated.
- Pour mixture on top of caramel-pecan filling.
- Set springform pan on an 18 inch square of heavy-duty aluminum foil;crimp foil sides up to prevent any moisture from seeping into crust.
- Place pan in a hot water bath- I use the broiler pan from my oven, place the springform pan in it and fill with hot water to the depth of the filling-and bake for 45 minutes, or until cheesecake is set in the center.
- Cool cheesecake to room temperature, about 2 hours, before refrigerating.
- Do not remove from springform pan until completely chilled, at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Loosen cheesecake from sides of pan with a sharp knife, remove from pan sides, and slice with a sharp knife, dipping blade in warm water and wiping it off between slices.
- Garnish each slice with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream and a strawberry.
- You can also get really fancy and drizzle some chocolate sauce over the serving plates before setting the piece of cheesecake on the plate!