Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is a traditional southern recipe, that gets a little extra chocolatey taste from the glaze that is drizzled over the cake. From Southern Living
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, large
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 egg, large
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, softened
- pecans, chopped
- FOR THE CAKE:.
- Cream shortening and butter; gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed with an electric mixer. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa together. Add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes; remove from the pan, and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spoon Chocolate Glaze over the top of the cake, allowing it to drizzle down the sides of the cake. Sprinkle top of cake with chopped pecans, if desired.
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE:.
- Microwave the chocolate baking squares in a large glass bowl at high for 1 1/2 minutes, or until melted, stirring twice. Add sugar and water, beating at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Add egg, and beat until blended. Add egg yolk, and beat until mixture cools. Add butter, 1 tbsp at a time, beating until blended. Serve over cake.
So, so, so GOOD! Everyone loved it. Very rich, moist and chocolatey. This more than satisfied my chocolate craving.
Decadent is the word for this cake. Very moist and a pure chocolate flavor. I loved that it remained moist even days after making the cake too. It was great warmed a bit too. Definitely a 5 star recipe!
This was a great and rich cake. Made last week to take to a family dinner and everyone loved it! Not sure if I made too much glaze but there was a lot more to just drizzle on so I put it on like frosting but it was still perfect. I left out the nuts since one the the kids is allergic. Made for 123Hits.