Based on a cake from www.cakelove.com and featured in "Cuisine at Home" magazine, December 2006.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 709.77 ml extra finely granulated sugar
- 236.59 ml unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 3 egg yolks, save whites for frosting
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour, sifted
- 118.29 ml Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 29.58 ml turbinado sugar
- 4.92 ml potato starch
- 3.69 ml table salt
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 177.44 ml whole milk
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 2Preheat oven to 350F with rack in the center.
- 3Cream the sugar and butter together at the low speed of a stand mixer until mixture becomes creamy and light in texture.
- 4Add eggs and yolks one at a time, letting each fully incorporate before adding the next.
- 5Whisk the dry ingredients togethe in a bol.
- 6Combine the wet ingredients. With mixer still on low, alternately add dry and wet ingredients to butter mixture, beginning and ending with dry. (Don't wait for the ingredients to be fully mixed in before adding the next.) Scrape the sides of the bowl to the bottom, then mix on medium speed for 20 seconds.
- 7Coat a 15 cup Bundt pan with nonstick-four spray, pour in the batter and smooth the top. (if your pan is smaller, fill 3/4 full and make cupcakes). Bake 55 to 60 minutes until a skewer in the middle comes out with just a few crumbs on it. (Decrease baking time by about 15 minutes for a 10-12 cup pan).
- 8Cool cake in the pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a flat surface and cool to room temperature. Wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for 1 day or freeze up to 1 month.
- 10Boil sugar and water over medium heat until it reaches 245°F As it cooks, begin the meringue so it is ready at the same time the syrup is ready.
- 11Whip whites with a wire wyhisk in a stand mixer on high. Mix until they reach stiff peaks, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle in 1/4 cup sugar; beat to incorporate. Try not to let the meringe sit for mor than a minute or so.
- 12Slowly pour the hot sugar syrup into the meringue in a steady stream with the mixer on high.
- 13Continue beating the frosting for 10 to 12 minutes, until the outside of the bowl reaches room temperature. The frosting will be thick and glossy white.
- 14Beat in butter by tablespoons; this should take about 2 minutes. The butter will deflate the frosting. (If the frosting seperates, then the butter may have been too cool or the bowl too warm. Keep beating and it will eventually come together.).
- 15Add in the chocolate and vanilla extract.
- 16Split cake in half (parallel to the bottom) and fill and frost. Garnish with colcolate curls, sifted cocoa or sifted powdered sugar. Serve room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Pound Cake
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 650.0
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.9 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 174.0 mg
- Sodium 382.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 54.2 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: