Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Set a rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat oven to 325°.
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda; mix well.
- Add butter and sugar to a bowl; **using a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat on medium speed, about 5 minutes, until very light.
- Beat in the vanilla; scrape the chocolate into the mixer bowl and beat until incorporated; scrape down bowl and beaters.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Decrease mixer speed to low; beat in 1/3 of flour, then half the buttermilk, beating until smooth after each addition; scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Beat in another third of the flour, and after the flour has been absorbed, beat in the remaining buttermilk; scrape bowl again; then beat in the last of the flour.
- Use a large rubber spatula to give a final mix to the batter, then scrape it into a buttered and floured 12-cup tube pan or Bundt pan; smooth the top.
- Bake for 1 ½ to 1 ¾ hours, or until cake is well risen and pick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for a few minutes, then unmold onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Right before serving, dust cake with powdered sugar; **an alternative topping would be to drizzle with a chocolate glaze.