Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 min
This recipe is in the King Arthur Flour Baking Book. I've shortened the directions for you and changed an ingredient. This by far is the best tasting chocolate pound cake I've ever eaten. My friends call it EVIL!!!!!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream or 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- preheat oven to 325*F. Use middle rack.
- I used a grease and flour spray like Crisco Baking Spray.In a lg. bowl (not too huge), cream butter and sugar until fluffy then add the next 4 ingredients.
- Beat on med.-high speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and do scrape sides of bowl.
- Dissolve espresso powder in warm water and combine with sour cream or the buttermilk, whichever you choose.(I used the sour cream)
- Whisk together in small separate bowl, the cocoa and flour.
- Now combine everything in the lg. bowl containing the butter/sugar/spice mixture.(Go slow, it can be messy)
- Pour into a Bundt-style or tube pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes.(Check cake 5 minutes sooner, because ovens vary).
- Remove from oven, let sit 15 minutes and then turn out on cake rack to cool completely.
- Bon Appetit!