Hmm, chocolate. I clipped this from the Montreal Gazette who, in return, got this from Susan Hermann Loomis's cookbook the French Farmhouse cookbook. They include suggestions like adding chocolate chunks in the batter, or to double the batch and bake it in two layers with red currant jelly between the layers. I've made this twice for my brother and father's birthdays, with chocolate ganache as icing. the recipe includes a pinch of sea salt, but I use regular salt and it has turned out delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Thoroughly butter and flour a 9 inch springform pan.
- 2Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit into the pan, and butter and flour again.
- 3Sift the flour cocoa and salt onto a piece of parchment paper.
- 4If using an electric mixer, use the whisk attachment if you have one. In the bowl of the mixng bowl or in another large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and all but one tablespoon of the sugar. until they are foamy, pale yellow, and have at least doubled in size. Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- 5Sprinkle the shifted ingredients into the yolk mixture and whisk it in quickly. Don't be concerned if the flour sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- 6Add the butter in thirds, whisking continously, scraping all the flour down the sides of the bowl. Mix the batter once more forcefully, so everything is combined well.
- 7In a medium sized bowl whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they are white and foamy but still quite liquid. Add the 1 tablespoon of sugar into the egg whites and beat until whiter and firmer but still this side of forming soft peaks.
- 8incorporate on fourth of the egg whites into the batter. Then add the remaining batter until they are completely incorporated.
- 9Turn the batter into the pan and bake in the center of the oven until the batter springs back and cake tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- 10Let cool for 5 minutes, then loosen the edge of the mould. After 15 minutes cooling, remove the cake from the pan, and let it cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Pound Cake
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.8
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 212.2 mg
- Sodium 149.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 33.9 g
- Protein 8.0 g