Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄4 cup light cream
- 1 ounce German cooking chocolate, German Chocolate should be corasely chopped.
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla
- whipped cream (optional)
- In a small nonmetal bowl stir together light cream, chopped chocolate, sugar and salt.
- Micro-cook, uncovered, on 100% power about 1 minute or till chocolate is melted, stirring after 30 seconds.
- Stir about HALF of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolk.
- Return all to the bowl, mixing well.
- Micro-cook, uncovered, on 50% power for 1 to 2 minutes or till thickened, stirring every 15 seconds.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into pot de creme cup or 6 ounce custard cup.
- Cover and chill for several hours or till firm.
- Garnish with whipped cream, if desired.
- SELECTING THE RIGHT CHOCOLATE: You'll find three basic types of chocolate in the baking supplies department of most supermarkets-- semisweet chocolate, unsweetened chocolate, and sweet chocolate.
- The semisweet chocolate is made from chocolate that is just slight sweetened with sugar.
- Unsweetened chocolate is the original baking or cooking chocolate and has no added flavorings or sugar.
- And sweet chocolate, such as the German cooking chocolate used in the Chocolate Pots de Creme recipe, is chocolate mixed with sugar and sometimes additional cocoa butter or flavorings.