Recipe by taylortwo
This recipe is from "The New James Beard Cookbook" and is being posted in response to a request.
Top Review by taylortwo
guys, i completely forgot about the risks associated with eggs that are not fully cooked...salmonella. so please if you are not buying pasteurized eggs please be sure of the risk to young children, the elderly, and those whose health are compromised. :)
- 473.18 ml heavy cream
- 59.14 ml granulated sugar
- 314.66 ml semisweet chocolate morsels
- 6 egg yolks
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Put heavy cream in top of a double boiler.
- Add sugar.
- Place over boiling water and scald (i.e., heat almost to boiling).
- Remove from heat and add chocolate and stir until completely melted.
- Beat egg yolks and gradually beat them into the hot chocolate cream mixture.
- Place top of double boiler over boiling water again and cook, stirring constantly, until well thickened (about 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and then pour into 6-8 small custard cups (1/2 cup size).
- When cool, place in refrigerator to chill before serving.