Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
Love chocolate doughnuts. These freeze well if you'd like to keep extra on hand.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup cold mashed potatoes (these need to be plain without butter, milk etc.)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons baking powder (I know, it's a lot)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk or 1⁄2 cup sweet milk
- Stir sugar, butter and potatoes into eggs and beat until creamy.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cocoa together.
- Alternately add milk and flour to egg mixture.
- Chill well for 2+ hours (overnight even).
- Roll 1/2 inch thick (*It is best to roll small amounts at a time and keep dough chilled as much as possible. Or you can roll, cut and return doughnut to fridge to keep chilled before frying. It makes it easier to handle).
- Cut out.
- Fry in hot fat (365 F) 3 minutes turning once.
These doughnuts were light in texture, and did NOT have a heavy oil taste I iced half with vanilla the remianing with chocolate. Nice to know that they freeze well as it was more than the 24 (maybe the size of my cutter). Next time I will half the recipe. My family very much enjoyed them as did I.