Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
These are very chocolate-ty cookies and are coated with confectioners sugar. They are soft and yummy. My family loves these.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (melted and cooled)
- 4 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Melt the shortening and chocolate in a bowl over hot water; cool slightly.
- Take off heat and using an electric mixer, blend in the sugar.
- Beat in eggs--one at a time beating for 1 minute after each addition.
- Add the vanilla.
- Add the flour, powder, and salt and mix well.
- Chill for 15 minutes as the dough will be very soft.
- Put the confectioners sugar in a shallow bowl so you can put the rolled balls in it.
- Roll dough into balls the size of a walnut and roll in the confectioners sugar.
- Bake in a 300 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Should be soft to touch in oven; should be chewy when done.
I love these cookies! Just like Mom used to make.