Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 6 slices Italian bread (preferably a day old) or 6 slices French bread, cut diagonally 1-inch thick (preferably a day old)
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate or 3 ounces dark chocolate
- 6 teaspoons unsalted pistachio nuts, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick) or 1⁄4 cup margarine (1/2 stick)
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- With a serrated knife, cut a pocket horizontally in each slice o f bread through the top crust. Cut the candy bar into 6 rectangles.
- Fill each bread slice with a piece of chocolate and 1 teaspoon pistachios.
- In a shallow dish or pie plate, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg.
- On a griddle or in a large skillet over medium heat, melt and spread 1 tablespoon butter.
- Dip the filled bread slices, one at a time, into the egg mixture, turning to coat both sides and being careful not to squeeze out the chocolate filling.
- Cook the slices, several at a time, on the hot griddle until they are browned on both sides.
- Add more butter as needed.
- Transfer the French toast to heated plates and dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.
- A family oriented website http://home.sprynet.com/~jmjohnsn Seasonal Page Topic - Fall Foliage