1 hr 30 mins
Az B's Note:
A Martha Stewart Recipe
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4 ounces salted shelled pistachios, ground to a paste in a food processor (about 1 cup)
- 1 large egg white
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
For the garnish
- slivered unsalted, shelled pistachios (optional)
- 1Make filling:
- 2Bring 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved; set aside.
- 3Put egg yolks in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk by hand until yolks are warm to the touch, about 2 minutes.
- 4Fit mixer with the whisk attachment. Mix yolks on medium speed; pour in sugar syrup.
- 5Raise speed to high; mix until mixture is cool and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 6Reduce speed to medium; drizzle in melted chocolate.
- 7Refrigerate until firm, about 45 minutes.
- 8Make cookies:
- 9Put pistachio paste and rest of sugar in the clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- 10Mix on medium speed until smooth.
- 11Mix in the egg white, vanilla, and salt.
- 12Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 13Transfer dough to a pastry bag fitted with a small (about 1/4 inch) plain round tip (such as Ateco #10).
- 14Pipe 1-inch rounds onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing about 1 inch apart.
- 15Bake cookies until firm and golden around edges, about 10 minutes.
- 16Transfer on parchment to a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- 17Place cookies, bottom sides up, on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Spread 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons chocolate filling on bottom of half of the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies.
- 18Freeze 1 hour.
- 19Make glaze:
- 20Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- 21Add shortening; stir until combined.
- 22Let cool, stirring, until mixture is lukewarm.
- 23Using a chocolate fork or regular fork, hold 1 cookie at a time above bowl of chocolate glaze. Spoon glaze over cookie, letting excess drip back into bowl.
- 24Transfer to a wire rack set over a baking sheet.
- 25Garnish with slivered pistachios.
- 26Refrigerate until set, 5 minutes.
- 27Cookies can be refrigerated in single layers in airtight containers up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Pistachio Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.6
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 59.9 mg
- Sodium 95.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 6.3 g