Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is from Rold Gold pretzels.
- 13 ounces pretzels, crushed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, cut in small pieces
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix the crust ingredients together.
- Press half of the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350°F for 8 minutes.
- For the filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch, milk and cornstarch in the top of a double boiler.
- Cook over boiling water until the mixture has thickened, stirring constantly.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir a bit of the hot chocolate mixture into the egg yolks in order to temper (raise the temperature of) the eggs and keep them from scrambling.
- Add the tempered yolks to the chocolate mixture, stirring constantly and thoroughly.
- Cool the mixture.
- Add the vanilla extract to the chocolate and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the chocolate filling into the pretzel crust.
- Top with the remaining pretzel mixture.
- Chill before serving.