Prep 15 mins
Cook 38 mins
Rich, moist, chocolaty and wonderful with vanilla ice cream!
- 2 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg and sugar.
- Beat in the water and oil.
- Stir in the melted chocolate and dry ingredients; mix until blended.
- Pour into a greased 8 inch square baking pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350° for 32-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack!
This cake is for chocolate lovers. I substitute 6T of cocoa and 2 T of vegetable oil for the baking chocolate. Just add the cocoa to the dry ingredients and and the extra 2 T of vegetable oil to the other 1/3 cup. It works out great and costs less.
Wonderful and addictive! It really fills the need for "something chocolate-y" when you need it! Easy and quick to make and I love that the chocolate chips on top not only bribe my kids doing whatever I ask of them (!) and that they make it easy to pack up in lunches without a sticky icing. Stayed moist for 3 days - as long as it lasted in my house. My whole family give it 5 stars! : )
You have to love recipes like this one. It freezes well...and the chocolate chip topping makes it easy to pack in lunches and carry along to picnics. I originally got the recipe from Taste of Home and have made it many times. Thanks for posting! : )