Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 38 mins
Rich, moist, chocolaty and wonderful with vanilla ice cream!
Make and share this Chocolate Picnic Cake recipe from Food.com.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg and sugar.
- Beat in the water and oil.
- Stir in the melted chocolate and dry ingredients; mix until blended.
- Pour into a greased 8 inch square baking pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350° for 32-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack!
This cake is for chocolate lovers. I substitute 6T of cocoa and 2 T of vegetable oil for the baking chocolate. Just add the cocoa to the dry ingredients and and the extra 2 T of vegetable oil to the other 1/3 cup. It works out great and costs less.
Wonderful and addictive! It really fills the need for "something chocolate-y" when you need it! Easy and quick to make and I love that the chocolate chips on top not only bribe my kids doing whatever I ask of them (!) and that they make it easy to pack up in lunches without a sticky icing. Stayed moist for 3 days - as long as it lasted in my house. My whole family give it 5 stars! : )
You have to love recipes like this one. It freezes well...and the chocolate chip topping makes it easy to pack in lunches and carry along to picnics. I originally got the recipe from Taste of Home and have made it many times. Thanks for posting! : )