1/1 Photo of Chocolate Pfeffernusse
1 hr 12 mins
I haven't tried this, but the combination of chocolate in pfeffernusse intrigues me. I thought I should put it here to try someday. The recipe comes from Christmas Baking: Traditional Recipes Made Easy by Christian Teubner. I'm guessing at the prep and cook times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup honey
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 cup light brown sugar (don't pack it)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sifted cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup diced candied lemon peel
- 3/4 cup finely chopped blanched almond
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 1/2 lbs semisweet chocolate
- 1Combine honey, molasses, brown sugar, and butter in heavy saucepan. Place over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until butter melts and mixture begins to bubble gently. Remove from heat and lt cool 15 minutes. In large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, white pepper and mace.
- 2Add eggs to honey mixture, pour at once into flour mixture. Stir to form a dough. Add candied lemon peel, chopped almonds, and lemon rind; mix well. Divide dough in half. Wrap each half separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 1/2 hours, or overnight.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 baking sheets.
- 4Pinch off small pieces of dough (about heaping teaspoon size) and roll into balls. Place on cookie sheets about 2 1/2" apart. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until done.
- 5Remove to cooling racks and cool completely.
- 6Melt chocolate in microwave or dutch oven (or temper if you know the technique). Dip cookies in melted chocolate and tap off excess on the rim of the bowl. Place on parchment paper or wax paper to dry.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Pfeffernusse
Serving Size: 1 (55 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.9
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 63.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied lemon peel
lemons, rind of