1 hr 38 mins
1 hr 30 mins
From the Dec 2008 / Jan 2009 Fine Cooking magazine. Prep time includes chill time for dough. Cookie has a delicate, almost shortbread texture with the hint of mint in the filling balancing the richness of the chocolate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1Make the cookies:.
- 2Sift the flour and cocoa together into a medium bowl.
- 3Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- 4Add the vanilla and salt; continue beating until blended and smooth, about 1 minute more.
- 5Add the flour-cocoa mixture and mix on low speed until a soft dough forms, about 1 minute.
- 6Chill the dough until firm enough to roll into balls, 40 to 60 minutes.
- 7Heat the oven to 350°F Line cookie sheets with parchment or nonstick baking liners.
- 8Roll heaping teaspoonfuls of the dough into 1-inch balls.
- 9Arrange them 2 inches apart on the lined sheets.
- 10With a lightly floured thumb or index fingertip, press straight down into the middle of each ball almost to the cookie sheet to make a deep well. (Or use the end of a thick-handled wooden spoon.).
- 11Bake one sheet at a time until the tops of the cookies look dry, 8 to 9 minutes.
- 12Gently redefine the indentations with the end of a wooden spoon.
- 13Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes and then let them cool completely on racks.
- 14Make the filling:.
- 15Put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set in a wide skillet of almost simmering water.
- 16Stir with a heatproof spatula until almost melted, 2 to 4 minutes.
- 17Remove the bowl from the heat and stir until melted and smooth, about 30 seconds more.
- 18Stir in the mint extract.
- 19Let the filling cool, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and a bit warmer than room temperature, 30 to 40 minutes.
- 20Spoon the filling into a small pastry bag with a small plain tip. (Or use a small plastic bag and cut a tiny bit off a bottom corner of the bag.)
- 21Pipe the filling into the center of each cookie.
- 22Cool completely before serving or storing.
- 23The cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 4 to 5 days.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprints
Serving Size: 1 (536 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.2
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 11.5 mg
- Sodium 17.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 0.7 g