Recipe by Little Suzy Homemaker
This is a great holiday cookie.
Top Review by Chef MelMar
I made these last Christmas along with 9 other types of cookies, and these were my favorites! They were a hit with the family, and they made a very pretty addition to the cookie platters! I'm definitely doing them again this year! Easier than decorating cut out sugar cookies, and much tastier!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened) or 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely crushed red-and-white-striped hard peppermint candy (about 3 1/2 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, cocoa, and salt into medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Add dry ingredients; beat until dough holds together. Divide dough in half. Shape each piece into disk. Wrap in plastic; chill until firm enough to roll, at least 45 minutes and up to 1 day.
- Set rack in center of oven and preheat to 300°F Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment. Roll out 1 dough disk on floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Using 3-inch star-shaped cutter, cut out cookies. Transfer to sheets, spacing 1 inch apart. Gather scraps into ball. Wrap; chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until tops feel firm to touch, about 25 minutes. Cool on sheets 10 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool completely. Repeat rolling, cutting, and baking until all dough is used. Do ahead Can be made ahead. Store airtight at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 2 weeks.
- Stir chocolate in small metal bowl set over saucepan of barely simmering water until smooth. Using small spoon, drizzle chocolate over cookies in zigzag lines. Sprinkle with crushed candies. Drizzle remaining chocolate over. Let stand until chocolate is set, at least 1 hour. Do ahead Can be made 3 days ahead. Store cookies between sheets of waxed paper in airtight container at room temperature.