Recipe by Little Suzy Homemaker
This is from my friend Nancy.
Top Review by Kitchen Witch Steph
I wish my photography skills were better because these are so pretty! Equally good, too. Mom got the recipe years ago out of Christmas cookbook. They make a great addition to a holiday cookie tray and have always been popular at any bake sales we've held. It's a good recipe to do with the kids: rolling out "snakes", twisting pretzel shapes, chocolate dipping, and candy crushing. What's not to love?
For the cookie
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup crushed peppermint candy, for garnish
For the Chocolate Glaze
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the cookie: Mix powdered sugar, butter, shortening, egg and vanilla. Stir in flour, cocoa and salt. Knead level tablespoonful of dough with hands until right consistency for molding. Roll into pencil-like rope, about 9 inches long, on board. Twist into pretzel shape and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake until set, about 9 minutes. Let stand 1-2 minutes before removing from cookie sheet; cool.
- To make chocolate glaze:.
- Heat unsweetened chocolate and butter over low heat until melted; remove from heat. Beat in 2 cups powdered sugar and 3-4 tablespoons of water until smooth and of desired consistency.
- To finish: Dip the tops of the pretzel cookies in the Chocolate Glaze. Sprinkle with peppermint candy. Let dry before storing.