1/1 Photo of Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies
I recently found this recipe on my computer and sadly did not keep the source of this delectable treat. Decided to add them to my trays this year. The cookies are quite large so you can always roll them out a bit more to increase your yield.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- powdered sugar, for rolling out dough
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes or 1/2 cup peppermint candy
- red food coloring (optional)
- 1Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- 2Place butter and sugar in large bowl of electric stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg and milk and beat to combine. Put mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl. The dough will be very stiff and crumbly at this point alost like a shortbread. Don't worry, you are adding liquid in the next steps.
- 3Divide the dough in half and add chocolate and vanilla to 1 half and incorporate with hands. Add egg yolk, peppermint extract, and crushed candy to other half of dough and incorporate with hands. (If you like you can add a drop or two of red food coloring to make the dough a pppermint pink.) Cover both with plastic and chill for approximately 5-10 minutes.
- 4Roll out doughs separately to approximately 1/4-inch thickness. Place peppermint dough on top of chocolate and press together around the edges. Using waxed paper or flexible cutting board underneath, roll dough into log. Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for 2 hours or more. (I let my logs cool for 6 hours and they were very easy to slice.).
- 5Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 6Remove dough from the refrigerator and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Place cookies 1-inch apart on greased baking sheet, parchment, or silicone baking mat and bake for 12 to 13 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through cooking time. Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 7Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (27 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 120.8
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 24.7 mg
- Sodium 27.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: