Recipe by Kathy(
A co-worker made this recipe for a cookie swap years ago, and they have been one of my favorite holiday cookies ever since then. I haven't tried it, but freezing the peppermint patties might make it easier to shape the dough around the them.
- 3 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 (13 ounce) bagsyork peppermint patties, frozen if desired (chocolate-covered peppermint patties, about 55)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until well blended. Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture, then milk.
- Divide dough into two pieces, cover in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour (freeze up to 2 weeks).
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease a cookie sheet.
- Shape a small piece of dough around each peppermint pattie, completely covering the candy. Please on cookie sheet. Flatten slightly and lightly crimp the edges with a fork.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Cook on rack.