Prep 1 hr
Cook 7 mins
These look so pretty and are a great use of extra egg whites. From BH & G magazine. These need to sit in the oven an hour so make sure you plan accordingly.
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk chocolate pieces
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups crushed striped round peppermint candies (about 50 candies)
- Place egg whites in a large bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line two very large baking sheets with parchment paper or foil; set aside.
- For meringue: Add salt, vinegar, and peppermint extract to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight) and sugar is nearly dissolved.
- Transfer meringue to a decorating bag fitted with a 1/2-inch star tip. Pipe 1-inch kisses 1 inch apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake all of the meringue kisses at the same time on separate oven racks for 7 minutes. Turn off oven; let meringues dry in oven with door closed for 1 hour. Lift meringues off paper or foil. Transfer to wire racks; cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine chocolate pieces and shortening. Cook and stir over low heat just until melted. Remove from heat. Spread crushed candy in a shallow dish. Dip bottoms of meringues in chocolate, then dip in crushed candies. Place on waxed paper and let stand until chocolate is set. Makes about 192 meringue kisses.
- Tip: To crush the peppermint candies, place the unwrapped candies in a resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Using a meat mallet, pound lightly to crush the candies.
I'm so glad this was posted! My sister gave me this recipe last year, but I have put it in a REALLY safe place! So safe, that I can't find it! These are absolutely wonderful. Even if you don't like meringue cookies, you will LOVE these! Not only are they beautiful holiday cookies, they are scrumptious. I prefer to use 1/2 cup milk chocolate and 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate.