Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hungarian American Cooking 1938. a nice little cake . i would cut frosting in half unless making another cake marshmallow like frosting boy it gets high
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed after dinner mints
- Cream butter, sugar and egg yolks together.
- Add melted chocolate.
- Sift flour, salt, and baking soda together. Add to butter mixture, alternately with sour milk. Mix thoroughly; add vanilla.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured pan.( i used 8 inch round cake pan).
- Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes
- (this made a ton of marshmallow like frosting ).
- Place sugar,water and egg whites to cook over boiling water (in double boiler).
- Beat constantly for 5 minutes with a dover beater (I'm guessing a whisk on that one). Add the peppermint extract or crushed after dinner mints.
- Continue beating until frosting is thick and creamy.
- Remove from heat and continue beating until frosting is of spreading consistency.
- Spread over top and sides of cake.
I made it for my family and they loved it??