Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
looks like a simple holiday cake to have handy for guests! requested from the gooseberry patch cookbook. cook and prep times are guesstimates.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely crushed hard peppermint candy
- heavily grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan.
- set aside.
- combine 1st seven ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- beat at low speed till just combined.
- beat at high speed for 2 minutes.
- pour batter into prepared bundt pan.
- bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or till toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- remove from pan and cool entirely on wire rack.
- place on a serving platter when cool.
- stir together powdered sugar and enough milk to make a dribbling glaze consistency.
- drizzle glaze over cake and sprinkle with peppermint candies.
Very nice way to "fancy up" a plain cake mix. I used sugar free/fat free pudding and fat free sour cream (just because it's what I keep on hand). The dog took a bite out of it (She's ok. I know she's not supposed to have chocolate but she got just a little bit and we caught it!) so it wasn't the prettiest thing (I cut a much bigger part out of it where the dog bit!) but it was tasty and enjoyed.
I had no problem with the moistness. I loved the chocolate and peppermint flavors. I don't like icings or glazes so I just served mine plain with some whipped cream to which I had added some peppermint extract and green food coloring. Tasted great.
Delicious cake. Very easy to make. I made two of these in less than a weeks time and they were a huge hit both times. I will be making this cake again. Thanks Kimbearly!