Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Chocolate and peppermint -- a classic combination! The smooth chocolate top layer hides two more yummy layers underneath: a chocolate crust and creamy peppermint filling. You can also tint the mint layer green (or red, I suppose, for Christmas, though I think green is prettier and 'mintier.' Originally from the Colorado Cache cookbook, these bars are great for the holidays or anytime. Prep time does not include assorted chilling periods.
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sifted flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 -3 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- For Layer#1:.
- Melt chocolate and butter, stirring frequently.
- Cream eggs and sugar; add flour and chocolate mixture.
- Mix well and spread in 8x8 pan.
- Bake at 350F for 20 min; turn oven off and bake 5 min more.
- Let cool.
- For Layer#2:.
- Cream sugar and butter together.
- Blend in cream and extract.
- Spread on cooled crust layer and refrigerate until chilled.
- For Layer#3:.
- Melt chocolate and butter together; pour over peppermint layer.
- Chill& cut into small squares (this is rich!).
I love these! I remember having them as a kid. To cut down on the richness (if desired) halve the chocolate topping layer ingredients.