1/1 Photo of Chocolate Peppermint Bars
Chocolate and peppermint -- a classic combination! The smooth chocolate top layer hides two more yummy layers underneath: a chocolate crust and creamy peppermint filling. You can also tint the mint layer green (or red, I suppose, for Christmas, though I think green is prettier and 'mintier.' Originally from the Colorado Cache cookbook, these bars are great for the holidays or anytime. Prep time does not include assorted chilling periods.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 -3 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1For Layer#1:.
- 2Melt chocolate and butter, stirring frequently.
- 3Cream eggs and sugar; add flour and chocolate mixture.
- 4Mix well and spread in 8x8 pan.
- 5Bake at 350F for 20 min; turn oven off and bake 5 min more.
- 6Let cool.
- 7For Layer#2:.
- 8Cream sugar and butter together.
- 9Blend in cream and extract.
- 10Spread on cooled crust layer and refrigerate until chilled.
- 11For Layer#3:.
- 12Melt chocolate and butter together; pour over peppermint layer.
- 13Chill& cut into small squares (this is rich!).
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Peppermint Bars
Serving Size: 1 (30 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 169.9
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 34.6 mg
- Sodium 67.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 1.6 g