Recipe by DrGaellon
A holiday treat if ever there was one. Adapted from a recipe in _The Gourmet Cookie Book_ as published by Caroline Russock at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/iahsWw
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup natural cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 ounces)
- 1⁄4 lb candy canes or 1⁄4 lb peppermint candy, coarsely crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Tear off a 21" piece of aluminum foil; fold it to be 8 1/2" wide. Butter foil, leaving 3" on either end bare. Place foil, butter side up, into a 13x9x2 metal baking pan.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- In a stand mixer with paddle, beat butter and brown sugar until fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add egg and beat until combined. Add dry ingredients and mix on low just until combined. With a rubber spatula, fold in chocolate chips and crushed peppermints. Spread dough evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until puffed and beginning to pull away from sides of pan, about 20 minutes. Place pan on a cooling rack and cool to room temperature. Lift cookies out with foil to a cutting board and cut into 2x1" bars. Remove from foil with spatula.