Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Amounts are very approximate guesses (I don't usually measure the first time I make something from scratch). This is a good sauce paired with steak. It's a bit spicy, but you can tone back on the peppers.
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ponzu sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon peppercorn (Corse ground, from mill)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 dash ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine Chicken Stock, Brown Sugar, Ponzu, Soy, Peppercorn, Ginger, & Cocoa Powder in sauce pot over medium-high heat. (NOTE that Ponzu is a citrus soy sauce. Soy + drops of lemon juice can be substituted).
- Whisk until well combined.
- Bring to simmer, whisking frequently. The chocolate should be integrated into the liquid.
- Combine Corn Starch and Water in a separate dish. Do not let settle.
- Add Corn Starch mixture to sauce pot.
- Whisk over heat until thickened.
- Add Cayenne from shaker.
- Whisk Cayenne into sauce.
- Serve with steak.