Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A dense chocolate cake with a nutty caramel sauce. The directions say to use a 9" springform pan with a can of dried beans in the center...I figure a bundt pan would have the same result. I have not made this yet, so times are an estimate. Although using all butter for the sauce gives great flavor, the use of some margarine helps the caramel stay softer.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecan halves
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder, sifted if lumpy
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan. To prevent leaking use a tight fitting base or set the pan on a sheet of tin foil and firmly press foil up around the sides of the pan.
- Insert and empty 14 oz can filled 3/4 full with dried beans into the center of the springform pan.
- Melt the butter and margaring for the sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar and water, stir and bring to a boil.
- Boil for about 3 min, stirring occasionally, until mixture is smooth and sauce like.
- Coarsely chop 1/2 cup of the pecans and add to the brown sugar sauce.
- Add the remaining pecans and mix well.
- Turn into the prepared pan and press the pecans flat in a singly layer, and cool.
- Beat the cup of butter for the cake with the sugar and vanilla in a large bowl, scraping down the sides occasionally, until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the flour mixture and the sour cream to the butter mixer, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, beating on low speed until well combined.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the pan, spreading gently over pecan mixture in an even layer.
- Bake for 45-50 min or until tested clean.
- Let stand in pan on a wire rack for 30 minute.
- Run a knife around the inside and outside edges of the cake.
- Remove the can of beans and invert the cake onto a serving platter/plate. Do not remove the pan, let stand inverted for 2 minute.
- Remove pan and replace any pecans that have come off the cake.
- Cool completely, and serve.