Recipe by my3beachbabes
Rich chocolate and crunchy glazed pecans combine in this dessert. I found it in a Holiday Baking magazine. I'm hoping to make this year for Christmas! Times do not include chill time.
Top Review by 2Bleu
I don't know if I did something wrong, but this recipe just didn't work out for us. I used a frozen pie crust rather than the chocolate tart pastry. For the chocolate filling, it would never firm up so I froze it and figured it will still be a great frozen dessert. I sprinkled the topping onto the filling but it just separated the pecans and so I then pressed them into the filling. The praline was really good, but the filling melted into a milky mess. As I stated, it may have been something I did wrong, but it just didn't work for me. So sorry. :(
Chocolate Tart Pastry
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 1⁄3 cups pecan halves, broken and toasted
- butter, to grease the pan
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare Chocolate tart pastry. Grease a 9-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Press tart pastry dough evenly into bottom and up side of prepared tart pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until pastry is set. Place pan on a wire rack to cool.
- For filling, finely chop chocolate; transfer to a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, bring whipping cream to boiling. Pour hot cream over chocolate. Let stand 5 minutes; stir until chocolate is melted. Pour filling into cooled crust. Chill tart about 2 hours or until filling is firm.
- Meanwhile, for praline topping, butter a shallow baking pan. In a medium sauce pan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boiling over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Increase heat to medium high heat continue to heat,without stirring for 8-10 minutes or until syrup turns amber in color. Remove from heat; when bubbles subside, stir in pecans. Immediately pour praline topping into prepared shallow pan. Quickly spread mixture into a single layer. Let stand about 45 minutes or until cool. Break into pieces. Sprinkle topping over tart before serving.
- Chocolate Pastry Pastry:.
- Stir together 3/4 cup all purpose flour, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and 1/4 cup sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until pieces are pea-size. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 egg yolks and 1 tablespoon water. Gradually stir egg yolk mixture into flour mixture. Gently knead dough just until a ball forms. If necessary, cover with plastic wrap; chill 30-60 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.
- Make ahead directions: Prepare praline topping as directed in step 3. Store praline topping in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. Prepare tart as directed in steps 1 & 2. cover tart loosely and chill up to 24 hours. Let tart stand at room temperature 1 hour; sprinkle topping over tart before serving.