Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from pastry chef David Lebovitz and appeared in the November 2000 issue of Food & Wine Magazine. It is complete nirvana and perfect for Thanksgiving dessert.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 2 cups pecans (about 7 ounces)
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 3 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 3⁄4 cup bittersweet chocolate
- MAKE THE CRUST: In a food processor, pulse the flour with the sugar and salt. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the ice water. Knead the dough 2 or 3 times on a lightly floured surface and pat into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 12-inch round. Fit the dough into a 9-inch glass pie plate. Trim the overhang to 1/2 inch, fold the edge under itself and crimp decoratively. Refrigerate until firm.
- MAKE THE FILLING: Preheat the oven to 375°. On a rimmed baking sheet, toast the pecans for about 8 minutes, or until fragrant; coarsely chop. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, melted butter, bourbon and salt until blended. Stir in the pecans and chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell. Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for about 55 minutes, or until the center of the pie is set. Tent the crust with foil halfway through the baking time if the edge is browning too quickly. Transfer the pie to a rack and let cool for at least 1 hour before serving.
Yep its decadent yes its rich even though I used Splenda.In the end its just plain good. The other thing I liked is that its dag gone easy.My only suggestion is to serve small servings and use ice cream or whipping cream to cut the sweetness. You have to try this recipe if you are a chocolate lover Pigpurple