Recipe by English_Rose
Kids and adults alike will go nutty for this delicious dark chocolate pecan pie.
For the sweet pastry
- 160 g caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 300 g unsalted butter
- 500 g strong white flour
- 50 ml water
For the filling
- 80 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 45 g unsalted butter
- 160 g granulated sugar
- 235 ml golden syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 235 g pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- First make the sweet pastry. Mix together the sugar, egg yolks and butter in a large bowl. Sift the flour onto the buttery mixture and, using your fingers, rub it all together until you get a sandy texture.
- Add the water and quickly press it into soft dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for a minimum of four hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/400°F.
- Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 25cm tart tin. Prick the base and chill until required.
- Melt the chocolate and the butter together in a heatproof bowl over simmering water; set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, combine the sugar and corn syrup and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl, then stir in the melted chocolate-butter mixture. Whisk in the sugar syrup mixture and thoroughly combine.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir in the pecans. Set aside until completely cool.
- Pour the pecan filling into the chilled pastry and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Lower the temperature to 180C/gas 4/350F and continue to bake for about 20 minutes until the pastry is golden and the filling is set.