Recipe by Debber
Not yer average "okay, serve me for breakfast" coffeecake, this one screams: "Darhling, you simply MUST serve me as I am bursting with delicious flavors!" Calorie counters and carb-busters should cut smaller pieces--everyone else may have a normal-sized slice! Makes a very nice family-sized 'cake loaded with crunchy sweetness. Serve with a plate of fried eggs, fruit slices and milk, tea or coffee. Adapted from *Midwest Living* December 2006.
Top Review by momaphet
This was straight forward to make and quite tasty. Lots of compliments at church where it was our after service treat. My only issue was that it took over 15 more minutes of baking for the center to be done, sand at that point the outer cake was a bit overdone. I would like to try this in a bundt or tube pan to see if it would cook more evenly. Made by an Unruly Under the Influence for ZWT6.
Filling and Topping
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350; grease & flour a 9-inch spring-form pan; set aside.
- Prepare FILLING & TOPPING MIXTURE: Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon; cut in butter until coarse crumbs, stir in chips, coconuts and nuts; set aside.
- Prepare CAKE PART: In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar, add baking powder & soda and salt; beat until well-combined; scrape sides if necessary.
- Add eggs one-at-a-time, beating well after each is added; add vanilla.
- Alternate adding flour and sour cream, beat (or hand mix) on low speed after each until combined.
- Spread half of the batter into prepped pan; sprinkle with half of the Filling/Topping mixture.
- Spoon mounds of remaining batter over the filling, then spread evenly as best you can; sprinkle remaining topping.
- Bake for 45 minutes; cover lightly with foil to prevent over-browning; finish baking for another 15-20 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes; then run a knife around the edges, remove sides of spring-form pan; cool for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.