Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips or 1 cup mint chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Grease baking sheets.
- In a large mixer bowl at high speed, beat egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar and, if desired, a few drops of food color and beat until very stiff and glossy and sugar is almost dissolved.
- By hand, fold in pecans and chips.
- Drop by well-rounded teaspoonfuls about 1 inch apart on baking sheets.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until set and dry to the touch.
- Cool cookies on baking sheets for 1 minute.
- Carefully transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place.