Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 hrs
This is like Turtle candies.
- 7 whole graham crackers, broken into pieces
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened) or 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups pecan halves, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F Blend crackers and 2 tablespoons sugar in processor until fine crumbs form. Add melted butter; process until moist clumps form. Press mixture firmly over bottom and up sides of 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Bake crust until golden and firm, about 7 minutes. Cool completely on rack.
- Stir bittersweet chocolate in top of double boiler set over simmering water until melted and smooth. Pour chocolate into tart crust. Using small metal spatula, spread over bottom of crust. Arrange 1 1/2 cups pecans in single layer over chocolate.
- Mix 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar in heavy medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high; boil without stirring until syrup is deep amber color, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Add 3/4 cup cream and 2 tablespoons butter (mixture will bubble vigorously). Set over low heat; stir until caramel is smooth, about 1 minute. Pour over pecans atop chocolate in crust. Chill until set, about 45 minutes. Stir milk chocolate and 1/4 cup cream in heavy saucepan over low heat until smooth. Pour over caramel; spread evenly. Arrange 1/2 cup pecans around edge of tart. Chill at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.