1 hr 30 mins
In 'Tate's Bake Shop: Baking for Friends' by Kathleen King
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 pears, peeled, cored, and diced (Anjou pears, about 2 cups)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or chunks)
- 1Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°.
- 2Lightly butter a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.
- 3Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper or waxed paper.
- 4In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 5In a large bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer set on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 6One at a time, beat in the eggs, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- 7Mix in the applesauce and vanilla.
- 8With the mixer on low, gradually beat in the flour mixture; mix just until smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- 9Fold in the pears and chocolate chips.
- 10Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- 11Bake until a pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- 12Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 13Invert the cake onto the rack and unmold.
- 14Remove the paper, turn the loaf right side up, and let cool completely.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Pear Tea Bread
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.9
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 61.6 mg
- Sodium 295.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 29.8 g
- Protein 4.5 g