Recipe by jenpalombi
from Gournet Magazine, December 2007. Make this one early in the season because it will keep, stored in an air-tight container, for 2 weeks.
- 2 cups unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups whole cocktail peanuts (4 cups whole and 1 cup chopped)
- 7 -8 ounces 70% -cacao bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter baking pan and put on a heatproof surface.
- Bring butter, sugar, and salt to a boil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat, whisking until smooth, then boil, stirring occasionally, until mixture is deep golden and registers 300°F (hard-crack stage; see Kitchen Notebook, page 240) on thermometer, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Immediately stir in whole peanuts, then carefully pour hot toffee into center of baking pan. Spread with spatula, smoothing top, and let stand 1 minute, then immediately sprinkle chocolate on top. Let stand until chocolate is melted, 4 to 5 minutes, then spread over toffee with cleaned spatula. Sprinkle evenly with chopped peanuts, then freeze until chocolate is firm, about 30 minutes. Break into pieces.