Recipe by nmjunko
I'm afraid to step on the scale since I started making these. They are really rich but so yummy!I got this recipe from "Forever Summer" by Nigella Lawson, and adapted it to the way I cook (simplified it!) This is my first submission! Hope you like it!
Top Review by Bobbie
I had a hard time in deciding whether to give this 3 or 4 stars. I'll go with 4 since I didn't have the correct size of pan and that might be the reason I'm having a hard time deciding on the rating. I found the shortbread layer to be too thick -- but the pan I had was 8x8 -- not 9x9. When I did the butter and condensed milk mixture in the microwave, I followed the times given. My butter sort of separated from the rest of the mixture. I'm not sure if that is a result of cooking it too long (or not long enough). I always seem to have better luck doing things like this on the stovetop rather than the microwave. I also felt there needed to be more chocolate chips for the topping layer -- and will add more the next time I make these. I'm also considering using pecans in place of the peanuts the next time. These are really sweet -- and very, very rich. I can see why people love them!
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 14 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry-roasted salted peanuts
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Line a 9 inch square baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Process all the shortbread ingredients in a food processor until it barely starts to clump.
- Put in pan and press down.
- Bake at 325 about 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large bowl in microwave (mine took 1 minute on hi).
- Stir in condensed milk and corn syrup.
- Microwave 2 minutes at 50%, stir.
- Microwave 8 minutes longer at 50%, stopping every minute or so to stir.
- Be careful it doesn't boil over!
- Continue until the caramel is light golden brown, and then stir in peanuts.
- Pour over crust.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over hot caramel, let melt and spread carefully to cover.
- Refrigerate until firm (about 1 hour), remove from pan, peel off foil, and cut into 36 squares.
- Store in refrigerator.