Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
from "once upon a chef" - http://www.onceuponachef.com/2010/12/chocolate-peanut-butter-squares.html
- 22 nabisco famous chocolate wafers, finely crushed or 1 2⁄3 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 firmly packed tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 11 1⁄2 ounces high-quality milk chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray.
- For the crust, combine chocolate wafers, butter, and sugar in a food processor and pulse to combine until cookies are evenly crushed and combined with other ingredients.
- Press crust mixture firmly into the bottom of a prepared baking pan. Bake for 8 minutes, then set on a rack to cool completely.
- Make the filling by combining brown sugar, confectioners sugar, butter, peanut butter, and salt. Mix until just combined (do not whip). Put the bowl in the refrigerator.
- Make the ganache topping by combining the chocolate chips and cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave at medium power (50%) for 60-90 seconds. Stir until the bowl no longer feels warm. Continue heating at 15-30 second intervals, stirring until smooth and melted. Do not overheat!
- Spread about 1/4 cup of chocolate mixture evenly over cooled crust. Place pan in freezer until chocolate is set, about 5-10 minutes.
- Spread peanut butter mixture into even layer over chocolate. Give chocolate ganache a quick stir to smooth any lumps, then spread evenly over top of peanut butter layer.
- Cover pan with plastic wrap and place in freezer for 1 hour to set. When firm, use a sharp knife to cut into squares. Keep refrigerated and serve cool.