Recipe by alnkathy
This recipe came from Passionate homemaking.com. I was looking for a protein bar recipe that required no baking or protein powders or sweetners. These taste awesome, use natural ingredients and are quick to prepare. I used chia seeds, prunes, peanut butter, and honey for those ingredients where choices were given. My family loves them and I make them often.
- 2 cups almonds
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed meal or 1⁄4 cup chia seeds or 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds, finely chopped in a food processor
- 1⁄2 cup dried prunes or 1⁄2 cup dates or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dried unsweetened coconut
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter or 1⁄2 cup almond butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 -3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips, melted for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Place almonds, seeds/meal, shredded coconut in food processor and process until a fine meal. Add dried fruit, peanut/almond butter and salt and pulse for about 10 seconds. Add melted coconut oil, sweetner, and vanilla and pulse until ingredients form a coarse paste. Press into an 8X8 glass baking dish. Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour until hardened. Melt chocolate in microwave, spread over bars and return to refrigerator for 30 minutes. Cut into 1" x 4" bars.