Recipe by Catwhispers
I really love this recipe, which I found on the web. It's so fast, simple and easy, with very few steps, and great for the summer or busy days because it's a no-bake pie (the ingredients are melted right in the microwave. It's also a bit different than most similar recipes, as it uses marshallows instead of heavy cream or whipped topping. I've often made it when I needed something last-minute, as it's ready to serve with just a few hours of chilling. It's great with some whipped topping or whipped cream, or even just on its own. One time I was short on chocolate chips and used 1/2 cup instead of a full cup, and added about a 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, an extra tablespoon of sugar, and about 1/2 tablespoon of butter to make up the diffference, and it still came out great. Since then, even with the full cup of chips, I still add a little cocoa powder, butter and extra sugar for the extra bit of chocolate flavor, but that's compleely optional. It's wonderful without those additions. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.
Top Review by Connie R.
I hope I just really screwed this one up, royally! I thought it sounded SO good, but it's taste was disappointing. The creamy rich chocolateness wasn't there. I want to try it again, in hopes that it was MY error.
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon butter (optional)
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker pie crust
- whipped topping (to garnish) (optional) or whipped cream (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt. Whisk in the milk well, then microwave on high for 2 minutes and stir. Continue microwaving for 1-2 minutes at a time, stirring after each increment, until the mixture is hot and thickened, about 6-7 minutes. (You can also simply heat it in a saucepan on a low to medium-low heat, stirring constantly until thickened, whch I often do.).
- Carefully remove from the microwave (or from the heat) and immediately add in the vanilla, chips, peanut butter and marshmallows. (If you'd like to add te additional cocoa, butter and sugar, you can add it at this point.)
- Stir well until all the ingredients are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour into the pie crust and chill for at least 3 hours before serving.