Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Flourless Chocolate Brownies
- 9 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1⁄2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 6 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed (17X13-inch sheets)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Butter a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
- Melt chcolate and butter in heavy medium-size saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar in large bowl until thick; stir chocolate mixture into yolk mixture.
- Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in another large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry.
- Carefully fold egg whites into chocolate mixture.
- Transfer butter to prepared pan.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- Press down edges until even with middle of brownies.
- Cool completely.
- Using 2 3/4-inch diameter cookie cutter, cut out 12 rounds.
- Bring 1/2 cup whipping cream and vanilla extract to boil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chopped chocolate and whisk until completely melted.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Lightly butter rimmed baking sheet.
- Stir peanut butter and 4 teaspoons sugar in small bowl to blend.
- Cut each phyllo sheet in half crosswise to form twelve 13x8 1/2-inch strips.
- Place 1 phyllo strip vertically on work surface.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Place 2nd phyllo strip horizontally across first, forming a cross; brush with butter.
- Stack 2 brownies in center of pastry.
- Top brownies with 1 tablespoon ganache and 1 tablespoon peanut butter mixture.
- Gather ends of phyllo strips together over brownies to form a purse.
- Twist ends closed.
- Brush purse with melted butter and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to form a total of 6 purses.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.